4. What is our Digital World?
Here, Dr Emma Pauncefort offers an overview of the founding principles of the world wide web and the launch of the first hyperlinked page in 1991. This potted history is placed within the context of the age-old human need to communicate with others and sits alongside a summary of the web’s basic infrastructure. She ends by reflecting on whether the world wide web has stayed to its founding goal.
(For a great explanation of the difference between the ‘internet’ and ‘world wide web’, see this video from the BBC)
Other videos in Module 2:
- Introducing the Digital & Literacy
- What does our Digital World contain?
- A lot of Information (or is that data?)
- Media Reinvented Online: Wikipedia and the Reference Resource
- Media Reinvented Online: News
- Media Invented Online: Social Media
- Introducing the Concept Digital Literacy
- Digital Literacy (the theory)
- Digital Literacy (in practice)
- Opportunities and Challenges: Digital Literacy and Society
- Opportunities and Challenges as Creators, Consumers, Teachers & Learners